Thursday, October 28, 2010

2%

Skim? No, I’m not talking about milk. Try slim. Two percent is the number of American women that can naturally and healthily achieve the ideal body type of a runway model. You can picture her now, right? Tall as a skyscraper, luscious hair, and a thin, lean body. Beautiful.

So what about the other 98 percent of us?

We, as a culture, have a serious obsession with looks, and I’ve often wished for one of those “clickers” that would record the number of times I think I look fat every single day.

You may have heard about the recent blog post by Marie Claire Magazine entitled “Should ‘Fatties’ Get a Room? (Even on TV?)” and the controversy it has caused. Though the blogger has since apologized for her brashness, here is an excerpt from the original article:

“Yes, I think I'd be grossed out if I had to watch two characters with rolls and rolls of fat kissing each other ... because I'd be grossed out if I had to watch them doing anything. To be brutally honest, even in real life, I find it aesthetically displeasing to watch a very, very fat person simply walk across a room — just like I'd find it distressing if I saw a very drunk person stumbling across a bar or a heroin addict slumping in a chair.”

First, to compare the obese to a heroin addict is appalling to me. Second, when are we going to wake up and put a stop to this negative talk about our bodies?

Body image is not a joke. To add to the statistic above, 42 percent of young girls in the first through third grades believe they need to be thinner. What are we coming to when seven-year-olds think they’re fat?

To stop this tragedy in its tracks, Tri Delta has launched the Reflections: Body Image Program®, the only program of its kind, proven to improve the body image of sorority women.

It works because it asks participants to focus on the “healthy ideal” as opposed to the “thin ideal.” Whenever I lose focus on the healthy ideal, I like to think about what my body does for me rather than how it looks. My feet, for instance, carry me to some amazing places. My eyes have seen sights that have taken my breath away. My heart is beating and I am healthily able to think and write. Thank you, body.

Tri Delta encourages collegians to celebrate Fat Talk Free Week each October. During that time, we compliment each other on traits that are not physical, but rather those that make us truly beautiful, inside and out.



To learn more about how to bring the Reflections: Body Image Program® to your campus, visit www.ReflectionsProgram.org. See also, www.EndFatTalk.org and www.TriDelta.org.

Statistics in this post are from the Reflections: Body Image Program® and this article featured on www.WebMD.com: http://teens.webmd.com/girls-puberty-10/girls-eating-disorders?page=1

3 comments:

  1. This is the best thing I've read about Fat Talk Free Week

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had my bariactric surgery for weight loss due to serious health complications of being overwieght on the 18th of Oct. Having struggled with my wieght for most of my adult life, and lost 100 lbs twice and 70 lbs another time ,and having a beauty Queen sister (National level),who struggled with serious eating disorders, I consider myself an expert on Fat Talk.
    This seems to be a really well written program and I will support it wholeheartedly. My sadness is that it is so late in coming inmy life.
    I have three duaghters and will pass this along. I have hope it will challenge the belief that all soroity girls of noteworthiness must be of a certain body type.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lauren,

    I am so glad I found your blog, I am sitting at work enjoying it and find myself totally agreeing with the recruitment process. With the body image program I was actually a peer ad visor for my house in Lawrence. I loved it and found it really helpful for not only myself, but for the girls I was able to sit down with and talk to.

    I really love your blog and can not wait for more stories.

    Delta Love & mine,
    Kylie T

    ReplyDelete