Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Unrequested Advice from Grandma

I got lots of great feedback from my recent post about travel hassles, but no response was quite as stellar as this email I received from my grandmother giving me her two cents on the subject. I thought I’d pass it along not just because it’s good advice, but everyone needs a little grandma in their lives:

Lauren, when I was your age I would have done the same thing you did – nothing when your “male” seat passenger hogged too much space.

But, being the grown up I am now, this is my advice to you: you don’t have to take anything rude from anyone; especially someone who is so self-absorbed that he has no manners at all.

My reaction would have been this if it had happened to me:

1. Tap him on the arm (how hard is up to you)

2. Smile sweetly and remark: “Pardon me, sir. You and your newspaper are taking up more space than you paid for and I would appreciate your moving over and letting me enjoy the rest of this flight.”

First of all, he will be extremely surprised that a sweet little thing like you would speak up for herself; but, honey, you just have to teach some people lessons that they should have learned long ago.

You and I have been very fortunate that the “men” we’ve grown up with have respect for the “ladies” and would bend over backwards to not only help fellow passengers, but would have never infringed on another’s space.

Lecture over. Love you oodles.

Spot on, Grandma! You rock.

1 comment: